Wednesday, April 27, 2011

statement

My Final Project Statement:



For my final project, with both my gray scale and my color composition(s), I wanted to show a sectional break down of the song I chose, “Big Noise From Winnetka”, as well as keep some of the fluidity of it.  The gray scale and color compositions are quite different from each other and yet quite similar, even though they go with the same song.  The gray scale composition is done with symbols, in a colleague format.  Each symbol represents a different instrument in the song, and that symbol is placed in/on the composition, based on the order of the introduction of the instruments in the song.  It’s almost like reading a line of music, with symbols, instead of notes, (sort of like reading it in another language).  The color composition is done with my feet and/or hands, (I thought of just forgoing this idea, but I really wanted to do it).  This time, a certain color represents a certain instrument in the song.  The “symbol(s)” effect that was achieved in the gray scale composition is found here in the way of certain positioning(s)/imprints of the feet and/or hands.  Those imprints, as in the grayscale composition, are placed in/on the composition, based on the order of the introduction of the instruments in the song.  Also, the two compositions are related to each other in that they are both divided and set-up into five musical sections, which is based on the song and how it changes.  However, my intention with the color composition was to make it even more fluid than the gray scale composition and to have; just more dance-like.  I had to listen to the song over and over again many times, to pick out the sections and the instruments and their specific parts.  The main aspects I tried to pay attention to as I thought about and did this project were (not nessisarily in this order): eye movement, repetition, combination(s) of symbols or imprints, scale, flow, direction, placement, design and cropping.  As I was breaking things down, I focused very much on one section or part of a section at a time, and intentionally, just put it all together and waited to see how it, the overall piece, would turn out in the end.  The color I chose to represent each instrument was also picked at random.  I thought these could be ways/places where I could show some randomness, because I really wanted that to be an aspect of my project, without it taking away from the structure and “break down” elements I wanted to use as well.  

Colors key for color composition:
Red= drums
Blue= trombone
Yellow= trumpet
Green= high saxophone
Orange or amber= low saxophone
Silver and/or gold= piano

No comments:

Post a Comment