Tuesday, March 22, 2011

assignment 8b -Deco




Here is my Deco design drawing of the original object- my shoe.  I first took a picture of the shoe on my cell phone, put that on my computer and then printed it out.  I actually printed three pictures of the shoe- one full page= 8 1/2" x 11", and two 5" x 7"pictures.  Next, I placed a piece of tracing paper over each print-out, to get the basic outline of the shoe.  Then, by putting the tracing paper on top of my 11" x 14" sketch paper, and going over the outline drawn on the tracing paper with a pen, I was able to make an indention of the shoe's shape on the sketch paper.  I went over the indention with a thin marker.  The shoe in the middle of the composition (the deco shoe) is taken from the 8 1/2" x 11" picture and the smaller shoes that make up the border around it are from the 5" x 7" pictures.  Still, these pictures just gave me the outline of the shoe(s); all the shapes inside the large, center shoe I put in myself.  I had some trouble deciding what to do with all the curves that came naturally with the shape of the shoe; I wanted to keep the natural shape, but I needed to make it more geometric as well.  So this was the final result.  I wanted to create an obvious center of attention with the large shoe in the middle- to draw the eye right there.  The border was a little tricky; I thought of trying to show the small shoe at different increments, (drawing the shoe, then each time- rotating it counterclockwise or clockwise a certain # of degrees, and drawing it again), but I decided random positions was more interesting. However, I did arrange it so that on top it alternates- toe, heal, toe, opposite of what it is on the bottom, which alternates- heal, toe, heal.  I also just tried to keep the geometric shapes and defined lines of the deco style throughout the composition.  I don't know if I was completely successful with this composition, but I think it turned out pretty good, and I enjoyed doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment