Monday, February 28, 2011

rest of write-up (read this 2nd)

4th Composition:
I think the geometric abstraction worked out well in the 3rd Composition, but I thought the organic abstraction in this one turned out even better.  Here again, I kept just the head of each close-pin, but instead of closing the shape into the form of a circle, I just did free-hand squiggly lines down both sides, keeping the same length of the original pieces.  Notice that only the "squiggles" on the left side come out of the heads of the close-pins, while the ones on the right side come out of those.  The lines are more fluid and irregular.  I think this gives it a nice flowing feel -like water waves, or perhaps, if when looking at the composition as a whole, it appears to be like a flower, both of which I think, fit well with an organic feel.  (This one looks like a sunflower to me).
5th Composition:
Here, there is even more abstraction.  I worked from my organic abstraction piece (4th Composition); changed the proportions by lengthening and shortening them, and by changing the width/thickness of some of the shapes.  I also simplified the form, (at least with the center circle), by removing the heads of the close-pins and placing them outside the proposed circle, so that the center circle could be seen more specifically and plainly.  I added on a "squiggly shape" to two of the ones on the left side of the object, partly because I wanted to add some complexity and partly because I noticed that the overall composition was not as well balanced as I'd like.  I'm not sure I like the addition, or know if it really adds or takes away from the overall composition.
6th Composition:
This is an abstraction through reversals.  I wanted to make this one fairly simple, with easy-to-point-out reversals.  All I did was to mark the center circle and the yarn in the same places as before/always, and then turn my tracing paper around, going counter-clockwise, to trace the up-side-down image of each close-pin in their designated spaces.  This was fun; I did have some trouble with spacing between the items on the left side of the composition, but overall, I think it came out pretty good.
7th Composition:
Here is my composition of multiples; there are three copies of the object in this composition.  I wanted to experiment with the focal points; I thought of drawing the multiples of the object in such a way, so that the one would either lead into the next one, or fit/disappear under it, or go over/cover it.  Instead, I decided to draw the object in the center of the page, as usual, and then draw the other two, on either side of it, in such a way, that they all intersected and overlapped each other, especially the center one.  I was interested to see how it would turn out, and I like what I got.
8th Composition:
This composition, which was meant to be focused on non-objective abstraction, was the hardest one for me to make, because I had trouble deciding how much of the original shape should be kept in or taken out.  Though, I think it turned out fine.  Again, I went with the simplified center circle, but this time, didn't even include the shapes of the close-pin heads.  Then, I made just a very simple outside line, on either side, to represent the presence and length of the body of each close-pin.  It also just serves as a boundary line for that part of the object.  The small curved line inside each one of these, represents where each close-pin "splits off into its little tails".  I thought of completing the "tails", but I decided not to because I didn't want the composition to be too close to the original.  (I think this one looks like a ceiling fan). 
*Even though this project was very time consuming, I had a lot of fun doing it, and am pleased with the results overall!

No comments:

Post a Comment